Thursday, 17 April 2025

The God Who Will Be: How Yahweh’s Dynamic Name Shapes Faith, Prayer, and Justice

Introduction: A Name That Refuses to Be Contained

The most profound moment of divine self-disclosure in the Bible occurs at a desert shrub. When Moses asks for God’s name at the burning bush (Exodus 3:14), the answer—Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh—defies simplistic translation. While often rendered "I AM WHO I AM," the Hebrew grammar and narrative context reveal something far more dynamic: "I WILL BE WHO I WILL BE."

This name is not a philosophical statement about God’s being, but a promise of presence—one that unfolds across salvation history, reshaping how we pray, suffer, and engage the world.


I. The Grammar of Revelation: Why "I WILL BE" Matters

A. The Hebrew Tense That Changes Everything

The verb ehyeh (אֶהְיֶה) is in the imperfect tense, denoting incomplete action. In biblical Hebrew, this often implies:

  • Future orientation ("I will be")

  • Continuous action ("I am being")

  • Intentionality ("I choose to become")

Scholar Walter Brueggemann notes: "Yahweh’s name is not a label but a verb—an active commitment to show up in ways that defy expectations" (Brueggemann 1997, 182).

B. The Anti-Idolatry Function

Ancient Near Eastern religions tied gods to fixed domains (Baal=storm; Dagon=harvest). Yahweh’s name rejects this:

  • No limits: He will be deliverer, lawgiver, suffering servant.

  • No manipulation: Unlike idols, He cannot be controlled by rituals (Isaiah 43:10-13).


II. The Story of "I WILL BE": Covenant as Divine Improvisation

A. Patriarchs: The God of Unfolding Promises

To Abraham: "I will be your shield" (Genesis 15:1).
To Jacob: "I will be with you wherever you go" (Genesis 28:15).

B. Exodus: Liberation in Real Time

God’s name precedes His acts:

  1. "I will be with you" (3:12) → Leads Israel out.

  2. "I will be your healer" (15:26) → Provides in wilderness.

C. Jesus: The Ultimate "I WILL BE"

In Christ, God becomes what we most need:

  • Bread (John 6:35)

  • Light (John 8:12)

  • Resurrection (John 11:25)


III. Praxis: Living With the God Who Will Be

A. Prayer as Expectant Dialogue

  • Lament"How will You be just in this injustice?" (Psalm 74).

  • Intercession"Be their comfort as You were mine" (2 Corinthians 1:4).

B. Justice as Covenantal Partnership

If God will be defender of the oppressed (Psalm 146:7), His people must:

  • Advocate for marginalized (Isaiah 1:17).

  • Create spaces where His future shalom is glimpsed today.

C. Suffering With a Future

When life fractures, the "I WILL BE" God:

  • Does not always explain.

  • Does pledge His presence (Isaiah 43:2).


Conclusion: The Unfinished Name

Yahweh’s refusal to be pinned down is our greatest hope. In a world of chaos, we follow the God who:

  • Was faithful.

  • Is present.

  • Will be more than we can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).

Prayer:
"God, You are not trapped in my small ideas of You.
You will be my provider in lack,
my peace in chaos,
my hope in despair.
As I walk forward, open my eyes to how You are becoming
everything You’ve promised to be. Amen."


Bibliography

  1. Brueggemann, WalterTheology of the Old Testament: Testimony, Dispute, Advocacy. Fortress Press, 1997.

  2. Cassuto, UmbertoA Commentary on Exodus. Magnes Press, 1967.

  3. Fretheim, Terence E. Exodus: Interpretation Commentary. Westminster John Knox, 2010.

  4. Moltmann, JürgenThe Coming of God: Christian Eschatology. Fortress Press, 1996.

  5. Moberly, R.W.L. Old Testament Theology: Reading the Hebrew Bible as Christian Scripture. Baker Academic, 2013.

##PassionWeek#Meditation

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Madness of a Wise Man: Don Quixote on Arms and Letters

There are moments in Don Quixote when Cervantes makes us laugh at his knight, and there are moments when he makes us stop laughing for a wh...

Popular Posts